Mainland was formed in Nashville, TN in 2011 by real estate professionals whose collective experience in development spans decades. The company was conceptualized based on a shared vision that the deal structure, construction, and financing of a development should be examined on a per project basis — not by a rigid formula lacking flexibility, creativity, and an authentic commitment to sustainable practices both financially and environmentally.
This philosophical foundation makes Mainland an excellent choice for individuals and companies who are seeking both traditional and non-traditional deals for portfolio expansion and investment, but lack the internal resources to structure and execute.
Mainland is lean by design. From our initial consultation to the finished product, our senior level executives work in close coordination and collaboration with clients throughout each project to ensure that both the big picture and crucial details are balanced.
Kenneth M. Larish
Chief Executive Officer
Ken Larish has more than 20 years of experience in real estate development. As CEO of Mainland, his focus is on capital formation and leading the structuring of private transactions and investments.
Ken began his career practicing law in both Dallas and Nashville where he specialized in representing national development companies as well as property owners and tenants. As an attorney, Ken was involved in more than 30 million square feet of commercial real estate transaction, and served as counsel in major corporate mergers and acquisitions as well as private placements.
Ken left private practice to serve as General Counsel for RM Crowe, a Texas-based holding and management company with an office portfolio of more than 60 properties and a total asset value of more than $500 million.
Prior to forming Mainland, Ken was Executive Vice President of Tennessee’s largest big-box retail development company. In this capacity, he was responsible for the structuring and placement of more than $200 million in real estate capital and the creation of one of the largest NNN development programs in the United States.
Larish at a Glance
- The Mainland Companies, CEO
- GBT Realty Corporation, Executive Vice President
- RM Crowe, General Counsel
- Baker Botts, L.L.P. (Dallas, TX), Attorney
- Bone McAllester Norton, PLLC (Nashville, TN), Attorney
- B.A. in History from Southern Methodist University (Dallas, Texas)
- J.D. Lewis & Clark Law School (Portland, OR)
- Practiced law in Oregon, Tennessee, and Texas
James A. Lennon
Chief Operating Officer
James Lennon has almost 20 years experience in real estate development. As COO of Mainland, James oversees financial modeling as well as project implementation including, master planning, design and construction management, and marketing.
James began his career in New York City with BAM Local Development Corporation and GCT Venture (a joint venture of LaSalle Partners and Williams Jackson Ewing). Prior to joining Mainland, James worked in Crosland’s Nashville office.
Over the course of his career, James has been involved in the planning and development of more than $1.5 billion in real estate development, spanning 5.5 million square feet of in-fill projects that encompassed housing, office, retail and institutional spaces.
Lennon at a Glance
- The Mainland Companies, COO
- Crosland, Development Manager
- BAM Local Development Corporation, Project Manager
- GCT Venture, Tenant Coordinator
- B.A. in Mathematics, Williams College (Williamstown, Mass)
- Graduate Studies in Civil Engineering and Real Estate Development, Columbia University
- LEED Accredited Professional
- Licensed Broker, State of Tennessee
Donald M. Caire
Chief Financial Officer
Don Caire has more than 25 years experience in real estate development. As CFO of Mainland, Don oversees capital advisory services as well as investor relations.
Don began his career in Dallas, Texas where he worked at Arthur Andersen & Co. From there, he served as CFO of the Lehndorff USA Group, an advisor to European and Asian investors in U.S. commercial real estate. Don also served as Vice President for Investment Management for the Archon Group, a subsidiary of Goldman Sachs.
Prior to joining Mainland, Don was CIO at Southern Land Company, LLC, a Nashville-based residential and mixed-use development company. While at Southern Land, Don oversaw the company’s acquisition and due diligence efforts as well as managing debt and equity relationships.
Over the course of his career, Don originated more than $500 million in commercial and residential real estate loans and has invested more than $200 million of equity. He has been instrumental in structuring joint venture and ownership agreements with institutional and private investment companies.
Caire at a Glance
- The Mainland Companies, CFO
- Southern Land Company, CIO
- Archon Group, Vice President Investment Management
- Lehndorff USA Group, CFO
- Arthur Andersen & Co., Manager
- B.S. in Management, Tulane University Freeman School of Business
- MBA, Tulane University Freeman School of Business
Vice President of Design
Mike Large has more than 30 years experience in real estate development, having served in leadership positions in Tennessee, Florida and California. Mike facilitates property reviews for Mainland, with an emphasis on utilization and reuse of historic and architecturally significant properties. He also oversees design and contractor relationships as well as managing the company's design and construction process from inception to completion.
Mike began his career in Irvine, California with Fluor Engineers & Constructors. From Fluor he moved to Peck/Jones Construction Company in Los Angeles where he was involved in the construction of the Irvine Hilton and Towers and the South Coast Plaza expansion.
Mike moved to Nashville in 1988 where he worked for MC Devitt Street Bovis as a senior project manager. From 1994 to 1999, Mike was the Director of Design and Construction, Eldercare Division for Hospital Affiliates Development Corp. In 1998, Mike relocated to Tampa, Florida where he was Director of Development Services for Kvaerner Construction, Inc.
Mike returned to Middle Tennessee in 1999 to serve as the Manager of Commercial Projects with Crescent Resources, LLC. where he played a vital role in the Cool Springs office building boom. Prior to coming on board at Mainland, Mike held executive positions with several of Middle Tennessee's highest profile development entities including Southern Land Company, Hawkins Development Company, Lend Lease, and Alex S. Palmer and Company.
Large at Glance
- The Mainland Companies, VP of Design and Construction
- Alex S. Palmer and Company, VP of Construction Services
- Lend Lease, Project Executive
- Hawkins Development Company, Project Executive
- Southern Land Company, VP Commercial Construction
- Crescent Resources, LLC, Manager Commercial Projects
- Kvaerner Construction, Inc., Director of Development Services
- Hospital Affiliates Development Corp, Director of Design and Construction
- MC Devitt Street Bovis, Senior Project Manager
- University of Florida College of Architecture, BS Building Construction
- Florida General Contractor License